header-photo

Up Next, San Diego

For the first time in my life, I get to visit California next month, more specifically, San Diego. Ever since I started travelling years ago, I have wanted to see California, but it's very far away from where I live. Back then, hoping on an airplane and going was out of the question. My parents never flew, so it wasn't just something we wanted to do. And imagine being a young guy who just graduated school, and 9/11 happens. Four planes go down and kill numerous people, and a fifth falls from the sky a month later. Our confidence for flying wasn't that high.


SeaWorld Vacation - May 2013, originally uploaded by cngodles.

But, we eventually got onto a plane. We went to Hawaii. It's near impossible to get there in due time any other way than by airplane.

The statistics speak for themselves, however.

150 deaths per 10 billion vehicle-miles
1.5 deaths per 10 billion passenger miles

Which could easily be attributed to a number of things. Airlines are all regulated. So if the weather is a certain way, a plane doesn't fly. If it snows bad here, any idiot can still take their car out on the road, unless there is a declared emergency where the law states that you stay inside.

So, it's not so bad to hop on a plane. I've taken 6 total flights now, it took 4 to route us from Hawaii and back, and another 2 to Florida this past Spring. Now we are going to add another 4, and I'm not nearly as nervous. To drive all the way there, it's much more risky. And while I get to have control of that risk a little by paying attention, it's still not a good thing. The drive there can be fun, and we will never stop driving, but I'll take the immediate payoff of flying any day. It's a 36 hour drive to get there anyway. That's 3 full days of driving without sleep just for the travel.

And back to experiencing things that are new. It will be:

My first trip to California
The closest I've ever been to Mexico
The first layover in Texas, first time in Texas
Third Sea World I've ever been to
My first conference for work, ever.

I can't wait! And I'm really happy going somewhere warm in February.